Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Later that night...

When I got home and posted on 11/19 I was feeling good and ready to go back to work the next day! Karlie had a different plan in mind. At about 6:30 that night I had an "accident" which isn't uncommon for pregnant women when they cough or sneeze. I cleaned myself up and laid down on the couch. Kyle called (he was still at work) and I told him I just didn't feel right. He told me he would be home soon. In the mean time my sister, Tracie, called to ask me a question so I started questioning her about what my water breaking would look and feel like. While we were talking my back started hurting. She told me to take some Tylenol and go lay down. As we were talking and I was getting the Tylenol I had another "accident." Tracie told me that it was probably Braxton Hicks because I was examined earlier that day and it was no big deal. She said to lay down and she would check in with me later. By this time my back was hurting pretty bad so I went to take a warm bath. After the bath I laid back down on the couch and decided to call me mom. By this time it was almost 7:30. She told me the same thing, it was probably Braxton Hicks. While we were talking Kyle came in from work. Mom said to call her back at 9 if I was still in pain. Kyle was still very concerned because he could see that every 5 minutes I was in a lot of pain. We decided to call Amy Thomas, a friend that is a labor and delivery nurse. At first she said that it was probably Braxton Hicks and that it should go away soon. When I told her about my doctor's appointment earlier that day she was a little concerned. She said, "If your still hurting in 20 minutes call me back." I was still hurting so she said, "Your in labor, go to the hospital." Mom and Tracie came over and helped Kyle finish packing my bags. While at the house they still thought it was Braxton Hicks and that they would be sending us home. Me, Kyle and mom got in the Tahoe and Tracie followed us there. When we got in the car mom could see I was in a lot of pain every 3 minutes. She told Kyle, "We need to get to the hospital as fast and as safely as possible." I think it was the LONGEST car ride of my life!

At about 9:30 we arrived at the hospital. Kyle went straight in and looked for a wheelchair and I went to the registration desk stopping to cuss and scream along the way. When I sat down I could barely give the lady my social security number I was hurting so bad. She called for a wheelchair and Kyle stayed behind to sign all of the paperwork. We skipped triage and went straight to the labor and delivery room. They had me get undressed and get into a hospital gown, which I couldn't do alone. The nurse examined me and said I was dilated to a 6 or 7! Mom told Kyle to call his parents because Karlie was on her way. Everyone started making their way to the hospital! At this point I was screaming for the epidural! There were 4 or 5 nurses in the room all asking the same questions two minutes apart. I was VERY irritated and only wanted to talk to the nurse who was going to bring the epidural! The nurse who helped me deliver Karlie was great. Her name was Mary and she helped me breath through all of the contractions and held me while I got the epidural. Everyone had to leave the room while I got the epidural and I was very nervous! Here they are waiting for me...
Photobucket
Photobucket
After I got the epidural I was in a much better mood and apologized to all of the nurses. Since I was scheduled to go back to work the next day I had to call my principal and let him know I would not be there. I think he was a little surprised...Photobucket
Photobucket
Here are some pics with the family before delivery.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
And the nurse, Mary, that helped me breath before the epidural and helped me deliver Karlie!
Photobucket
At about 11:15 the doctor came in and checked me and said I was dilated to a 9 and it was time to start pushing. They did such a good job with the epidural that I could not feel the contractions or the pressure of Karlie. The nurse would have to hand me my right leg and Kyle would lift my left leg and my head and that's how we pushed for about an hour. Then the doctor had them turn the epidural off so that I could push with the pressure or contractions. At that point we were on a roll...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
At 1:04 Karlie decided to make her entrance! Here she is...
Photobucket
Daddy cutting the umbilical cord...
Photobucket
Because she was 4 weeks early the NICU nurses were standing by to check her out before we could hold her...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
She had a HUGE conehead! When she was born she was 18 1/4 inches long and on the following Monday she was 17 3/4 inches long. Her had has finally rounded out!
She was great so they passed her off to us.
Photobucket
She was a very bruised and had a swollen eye at delivery. They think it was from me pushing for two hours and because she did not have a lot of room to move inside of me.
Photobucket
Proud Mom
Photobucket
Proud/Tired Dad
Photobucket
Happy Family
Photobucket
Nana and Karlie. She finally got to see one of her grandbabies make their entrance.
Photobucket
Papa and Karlie
Photobucket
Papa and Karlie
Photobucket
Neece, Papa and Karlie
Photobucket
Gigi and Karlie (Gigi had to be at school the next day and had to drive all the way back to Tyler that night. What a trooper! Thanks Aunt Gigi!)
Photobucket
Uncle Bryan and Karlie
Photobucket
Aunt Trac and Karlie
Photobucket
Aunt La La and Karlie
Photobucket
Aunt Chanda and Karlie
After everyone came in and met our new little one they took her upstairs to check her out and give her a bath. Nana and Aunt Trac hung around and took pictures because we had to stay in the delivery room for a few hours while they took out the epidural and IV and took blood and all of the fun stuff that goes along with that!
Here are a few pictures from the bath.
Photobucket
Look at that little bottom! So cute!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sorry this is long, but I wanted to blog it all so that I don't forget the story myself! I hope you enjoy our little one as much as we do!

Love,
Kyle, Shanda and Karlie Carpenter

2 comments:

Misty Rice said...

Great blogging and pictures. Congratulations to the both of you and yes what a happy beautiful family. I love the birthing pictures. I am a details kind of person and so I want all the details. I am so happy for you all. Now before you get too behind like me, go join shutterfly.com and start putting all these great pictures in books to print and save for safe keeping.....

Happy Holidays to you all.

God Bless.

Chris, Miranda, Prestley & Hudsyn said...

Congratulations, she's beautiful! I think she was born on my birthday, I wasn't sure which day she was actually born. I hope everything is still going great.